DEADLINE TO APPLY: FRIDAY, MARCH 17, 2017 BY 4:00 P.M. EST.
Department: Fire Department
Reports To: Fire Chief
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary Range: Firefighter I $35,486.00
Civil Service: Yes
The description listed below is intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in this position. Specifications are NOT intended to reflect all duties performed within the position.
Under general supervision, engages directly in fire fighting and fire prevention activities and the saving of lives and property; and in addition does related work as required by superiors.
1) The employee's duties require frequent exposure to a high degree of danger or peril and a high degree of physical conditioning; and
2) The employee's duties are not primarily clerical or administrative.
Potential new hires must possess a Kentucky paramedic license or NREMT paramedic license upon appointment.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following tasks are typical for this position, other duties may be assigned:
• Responds to calls for apparatus during an assigned shift.
• Rides or drives apparatus to the scene of fire; connects and lays hose lines, maintains fire equipment and apparatus in good condition.
• Give first aid
• Assist in keeping the station house and furnishings clean and in good repair during assigned shift.
• Operates pumpers and other special equipment if so assigned.
• Observes fire hazards and violations of fire laws and regulations, reporting same to superiors for correction.
• Keep records and assist in the preparation of reports.
a. Studies various subjects as required in the fire training program, participates in physical fitness program, shall handle supplies or be an aid to a superior.
b. Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of Fire Department property.
c. Cleans and washes walls and floors.
d. Makes minor repairs to property and equipment.
e. Washes, hangs, and dries hose.
f. Washes, cleans, polishes, and tests apparatus.
Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE ABILITIES AND SKILLS
• Keep abreast of changing trends and practices in the fire service.
• Maintain the confidentiality of all sensitive materials or information that they come into contact with.
• Must be available to work a 24 hour shift, followed by 48 hours off duty.
• Read, write, and communicate at 12th grade or higher level.
• Ability to interact with other department staff and the community.
• Follow orders and directive.
• Maintain knowledge of geographic areas of the City and surrounding areas.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be a citizen of the United States and be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
GRADE: Firefighter Grade 1 shall be advanced to Grade 2 after (1) one year of service; Grade 3 (2) two years of service; Grade 4 after (4) four years of service and favorable recommendation from the Fire Chief.
• High School graduate or equivalent.
Candidate must successfully complete the agility, psychological, and background examinations.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LISCENSESES, REGISTRATIONS
• Maintain a current driver's license.
• Unrestricted Kentucky Paramedic License is required for additional duties of paramedic; however, all paramedic's are responsible for firefighter duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and sit and to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Most work performed outdoors regardless of the weather. Work exposes employees to machinery and its moving parts, fumes, chemicals, and/or toxic substances, and frequently requires employee to be in high places and/or working with dangerous equipment.
***The City of Covington fully and actively supports equal opportunity employment for qualified candidates regardless of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability.***
***Female and Minority Candidates are Encouraged to Apply***