Information Technology and Data Manager
|Title:||Information Technology and Data Manager|
|Department:||Mayor and City Manager's Office|
|Location:||20 West Pike Street|
DescriptionAPPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED
Job Title: Information Technology and Data Manager
Reports To: City Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Civil Service: No
Salary Range: $60,000 to $66,000
Prepared By: Human Resources Department
Prepared Date: January 8, 2014
Approved By: Mayor and City Commission
Approved Date: 2/4/2014
The Information Technology and Data Manager is a full-time position that provides leadership for short-and long-range planning as well as day-to-day management of information technology systems and the development and execution of architectures, policies, practices and procedures for all data held by the City. This position has day-to-day responsibility for the smooth operation of the City’s information technology network, systems, operations, and software applications. In addition, this position will supply data for performance management systems.
Information Technology Management and Data Manager creates and maintains the computer infrastructure, including hardware, software, and communications equipment necessary to support the needs of the City; provides residents, businesses and City staff convenient access to information and services; partners with appropriate government entities, non-profit organizations and private firms to provide the most effective and efficient delivery of City government information services; guarantees a reliable computer infrastructure with appropriate disaster recovery mechanisms; effectively manages the City’s information and technology assets through their useful life; ensures reliable connections between technology partners internally and externally.
Information Technology implements and supports the technology and data needed for public safety, City owned internal and external websites and other social media, financial management systems, communications systems (e-mail, telephone, etc.), copy, print, and data archiving systems, performance tracking and management systems, and security and privacy of data, both electronic and non-electronic, such as personally identifiable information (PII).
This position will be responsible for data and technology recommendations for various departmental needs, including Performance Management to measure progress toward goals. Measuring performance provides the data needed to inform decisions so assumptions can be tested and opinions can be balanced with facts supported by data. Included in the responsibilities are the formulation, implementation, and enforcement of proper data collection and organization, and information technology policies and standard operating procedures. This position will aid City management by working with City Departments to identify ways to use technology to track and analyze data on performance (including inputs, outputs, and outcomes), among other things. This position will investigate what data sources are readily available and offer recommendations on additional technology resources to assist with staff efficacy and consolidated data management. This position will assist in the training of individual City Departments to monitor and refine departmental data and information.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines data needed to be collected and the appropriate data resources
- Formulates, implements, and enforces proper data collection and information technology policies and standard operating procedures
- Trains and educates departments on data collection tools and equipment
- Establishes data quality standards and works with departments to ensure standards are met
- Ensures data system is operational
- Develops data collection and evaluation methodologies, including format design, project criteria and requirements, data compilation, relevancy and usage.
- Understands and ensures privacy law and standards
- Evaluates current systems to improve operations
- Provides on-going consultation and technical assistance
- Develops and maintains information relating to the operating cost, utilization and condition of all technology assets
- Collaborates with all stakeholders to ensure that service needs are appropriately addressed in a cost effective manner, including providing applicable financial data for Program budget considerations.
- Be familiar with all hardware and software and network operating system and provide recommendations about accessing information and support
- Maintain current and accurate inventory of technology hardware, software and resources
- Maintains a work (and/or service) order system to measure the productivity and effectiveness of staff, while ensuring the related performance costs are appropriately assigned to the benefitting departments.
- Responsible for effectuating and managing contracts for all procurements related to information technology and data management, such as software vendors, or other technology consultants.
- Maintains appropriate contract files, in auditable condition, to support all procurements in compliance with government contracting requirements.
- Manages all Information Technology related tasks including all service requests, equipment purchases, domain names, software renewals and purchases, equipment inventories, phone systems, faxing system, cell phone services, air cards, copying equipment contracts, postage meter, etc.
- Assists, trains and trouble-shoots with departments on data management contributing toward performance measurement and improvement.
- Liaisons with City Management on data sources available to track performance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Seasoned Project Management and Personnel Management skills.
- Ability to prioritize simultaneous projects/issues/concerns & to take ownership of work.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and consultative skills.
- Proven capability to write proposals, prepare budgets, write and negotiate contracts, read, interpret and apply required professional, technical and government regulations.
- Capable of preparing work specifications, securing estimates and bids, negotiating contracts, and monitoring construction/repair work of contracts.
- Capable of reading and interpreting design, development and working drawings or specifications of technology and data systems ability to present information and respond verbally or in writing to questions and/or concerns of management, elected officials, clients, customers and the general public.
- Commitment to excellence and a high stress tolerance.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must be detail oriented.
Staff as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Facilities Management/Business Management or related field.
- Systems analysis and development
- Business contingency planning as it relates to Information Technology and facilities
- Disaster recovery systems
- Oracle-based systems
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Possess and Maintain a Valid Driver’s License
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents and write routine reports and correspondence. Effectively communicate and present information to all levels of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Capacity to compute rate, ratio, and percentage, also able to create and interpret various types of graphs
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Capability to apply common sense understanding in order to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is typically in an office setting, but is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
***The City of Covington, Kentucky is an EEO employer***
***Female and Minority Candidates are Encouraged to Apply***
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications